Acquisitions Surveyor (for Canterbury City Council)
£33,219 to £38,292 per annum
Fixed Term (12 months, extension subject to funding) - Full Time
East Kent Housing is the first ‘Super ALMO’ in the country, managing over 17,000 properties on behalf of four local authorities. We’re an ambitious organisation and our mission is to deliver ‘a fresh approach for a better housing service in East Kent’.
- To assist the Canterbury City Council Client Officer, or nominated officer, with the acquisition and refurbishment of property to bring into the housing stock for Canterbury City Council.
- Manage all contract administration and project management tasks associated with the works.
- Manage the existing contract to ensure that East Kent Housing (EKH) fulfils its contractual obligations to the client council by delivering refurbishment works to acquired properties.
- Collate and produce accurate progress, monitoring reports and performance data and implement efficient and effective contract management regimes and principles for the contract and managed budget to ensure that the interests of the local authority are protected.
- Assist in the compliant procurement of new contracts as required including applying good technical knowledge and experience.
- Provide effective and timely communication to all stakeholders in relation to refurbishment programmes.
- Ability to apply specialist and detailed technical expertise, develop job knowledge and expertise through continual professional development, share expertise and knowledge with others, use technology to achieve work objectives, and demonstrate an understanding of different organisational departments and functions.
- Ability to build team spirit, adopt a collaborative approach to problem solving, recognise and acknowledges the contribution of others, and have an awareness of own strengths and weaknesses.
- The role will involve report writing so it is essential that the post holder can communicate clearly and succinctly in writing, avoiding unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language, making sure to structure information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience of direct management of property, maintenance and investment related contracts within a public sector/ social housing organisation or similar operating environment to that of EKH.
- Broad experience of procuring a variety of investment contracts, effectively managing the performance of service providers and ensuring that the requirements of the contract are delivered.
- Experience managing multiple investment contracts in a challenging and pressured environment with varying demands to cost, quality and time constraints.
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of contracts, contracting relationships, contract management, budget management and relationship management.
- Good working knowledge of construction methods, building defects, building maintenance, asset management principles and the delivery of investment programmes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Local Government regulations, European and UK contract law.
- Surveying qualification – Chartered qualification or equivalent.
- In addition the post holder is required to have qualifications and/ or extensive industry experience relating to risk management, a variety of health and safety regulations and compliance (e.g. asbestos, gas/electrical/fire safety), as well as legislation around public contracts and Section 20 of the Landlord and Tenancy Act 1985.
This post requires you to have a full driving licence and own transport or requires travelling to sites in a timely manner equivalent to motor travel in your own car.
In addition, you may be expected to work in another of the Council areas, than your base as and when required.
Interviews for this role are expected to take place in the week commencing 4th September 2017.